THE CAR FORD SHOULDA BUILT!!
1971 Boss 429 Mustang
Chassis no. 1F02R166633
Complete Marty Report
Ford campaigned the mighty Boss 429 in 1969 and 1970 fastbacks that were hand modified to accept the huge Hemi headed engine. In 1971 they made the engine bay large enough to accommodate the shotgun V8 without modification, but discontinued the race program and built the Boss 351 and the 429 Super Cobra Jet instead. This car started life as a factory built Boss 351 but is now powered by a custom built Boss 429 Making over 600hp.
1F02R166633 started life as a silver and black Boss 351 sold in San Antonio, Texas in April of 1971 (see Marti report for more details). Apparently it stayed in Texas and lead a typical Boss 351 existence. It was purchased in Texas as a project and moved to Arizona where the restorer purchased it as a “car in box” in 2015. Most of the hard to find Boss parts were long gone, but it did have the original 31 spline nodular rear-end with staggered shocks and the original V.I.N. stamped engine block. He always wanted to build a 1971 Boss 429 and this was the perfect platform. His intent was to make the car look like it would have if Ford had actually continued the Boss 429 project from the outside, but to add enough modern upgrades to make the car more drivable. Once around the block in this beauty and I think you’ll agree he nailed it!
With over $70,000 in receipts this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own the Boss 429 they Shoulda built!
- Super Cobra Jet 4 bolt main block
- Jon Kaase Racing Boss 429 heads & intake
- MSD ignition and distributor
- Holly 950 double pumper
- March pulleys and brackets
- Be cool aluminum radiator with variable speed fans
- FPA headers
- Custom stainless exhaust with electric cutouts
- 466 cubic in, 9.5:1 compression
- Dyno tuned to 620hp, 530 ft-lbs
- Tremec world class 5 speed from modern driveline
- Dual friction 700hp clutch with tilton hydraulic bearing
- RRS underdash power brake and clutch pedal assembly
- Original 9” 31 spline nodular rear with 3.91:1 gears
- Total control products coil over front suspension
- RRS power rack and pinion steering
- Global West subframe connectors
- Traction master rear traction bars.
- 1971 Boss 351
- Functional ram air hood
- Grabber lime paint
- Magnum 500 wheels and Cooper Cobra tires
- Interior restored as original
Please contact us with any questions, many more photos, or an international shipping quote.